Saturday, October 1, 2011

Country Roads

Photo by Magna Vita Photography
A lot can happen in a year. This photo was taken almost one year ago, shortly after the launch of Kimberley's Kitchen. I didn't know at that time that I would be sitting here, blogging from my new home in the small northern town of Smithers, BC one year later. But here I am.

I have spent most of my life living in a city. But the country life has always been a part of me. I have often said I like the extreme- urban, downtown life or country life. I never really wanted to live somewhere in between.

My husband and I had been talking about moving to a small town but we knew that we would need the right job to take us there. When the opportunity came up to move to Smithers, we didn't hesitate. We had never been here, knew little about it or even where it was, but it just felt like the right move.

One month after accepting the job, we were on the road to our new life. We spent a few days driving and camping our way up. I have done a fair bit of traveling through BC but had never made it up to the Bulkley Valley and beyond. It is amazing country and worth the drive (which, by the way, is quite easy and enjoyable once you leave Hope).

It is remarkably beautiful in the Bulkley Valley. I wasn't expecting this. I thought it would be nice. I didn't think it would be gorgeous. Breathtaking views of mountains, forest, ranchland, rivers. The people are authentic, genuine, friendly, compassionate, and welcoming. People here live very healthy lifestyles and the food in this region is fantastic. The Bulkley Valley Farmers Market is the best I have ever been to. Local farms, food producers, and merchants all take pride in offering sustainable and organic options.

Moving here was a choice for how we want to raise our family and spend our time. We have already found balance and enjoy living on Smithers-time. Yes, everything is slightly slower because there is no need to rush. Life is full but not exhausting. Everwhere I go I know someone, and I have only been here two weeks.

Advice from locals is welcome: watch out for bears, buy your winter coat early, and join a hockey league. Our urban life feels so far away and so far in the past. And that's okay with me. There is a really good sushi restaurant so I think I will do just fine.